I had a plan! I wanted to try blogging. Thomas Edison had many patents and many inventions, sooooo I thought lets just “sit, type and see”. Wellll, that was last year.
As some of you know or have observed, its taken me awhile to get here and enter 2016. Quite frankly, I was trying to decide whether I would continue blogging. It then occurred to me that I’ve been experiencing a condition of not having any ideas nor the where with all to proceed. Now I know the name for this and this writers block seems so insurmountable and dreadful. Kind of like wearing a 40’s or 50’s swimsuit in the 21st Century!
It is my understanding there are 10 types of Writers Block. I’ve capitalized the word because it sounds like a mental disease that should be in the DSM-5 manual for severe mental illness.
1. You can’t come up with an idea.
2. You have a ton of ideas but can’t commit to any of them, and they all peter out.
3. You have an outline but you can’t get through this one part of it.
4. You’re stuck in the middle and have no idea what happens next.
5. You have a terrible feeling your story took a wrong turn a hundred pages back, and you only just hit a dead end.
6. You’re bored with all these characters, they won’t do anything.
7. You keep imagining all the reasons people are going to say your story sucks, and it paralyzes you.
8. You can’t think of the right words for what you’re trying to convey in this one paragraph.
9. You had this incredibly cool story in your head, and now you’re turning it into words on a screen and it’s suddenly dumb.
10. You’re revising your work, and you can’t see your way past all those blocks of text you already wrote.
Now not all of these apply to blogging in my case, but 1 and 2 seem to be the worst neurons of this brain malady that isn’t working. If any followers have any ideas, please feel free to comment. My sincere hope is that it won’t last long.